All Stanford students enrolled in degree-granting programs pay the Student Activities Fee. The fee supports a massive breadth of campus activity that we often take for granted - within both the undergraduate and graduate communities. The fee directly funds student-led initiatives that are voted-on annually by students, or approved weekly by the ASSU legislative bodies.
As a student, you may opt to waive part or all of this fee, which Stanford University collects on the behalf of the ASSU. Waiving a fee means that you choose not to fund certain campus organizations, and do not intend to participate in any of the activities partly or fully supported by those organizations. Waiving this fee does not constitute "free money".
Spring of Previous Academic Year
Student body approves student group funding for the upcoming academic year. This helps make up the quarterly (except summer) “Student Activities Fee” on your University Bill.
Current Academic Year, Each Quarter
Monday of Week 1, 12 am
- Students may waive part or all of the Student Activities Fee at assu.stanford.edu/waivers
Friday of Week 3, 5 pm
- Deadline to request a waiver for all or part of the quarterly Student Activities Fee
- After that time, you will not be able to place a waiver.
- Exceptions to this deadline will only be given by the Registrar, where the Registrar confirms that the student enrolled after the study list deadline and so were and assessed the fee after the original waiver deadline.
- Then, ASSU sends all waiver requests are sent to Student Financial Services to be verified.
End of Week 4
- Student Financial Services credits the amount of the waiver to the student via Axess.
- If you placed a waiver and do not see a credit to your account in Axess by the end of Week 4, please contact the Student Services Center.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Student Activities Fee?
The fee is used to provide various grants that directly fund the bulk of campus activity for over 700 student organizations and student-led initiatives - within both the undergraduate and graduate communities.
Who pays the Student Activities Fee?
All Stanford students enrolled in degree-granting programs.
Where can I ask for my fee to be waived?
You can waive your fee at assu.stanford.edu/waivers.
What does waiving my fee entail?
Waiving a fee means that you choose not to fund certain campus organizations, and do not intend to participate in any of the activities partly or fully supported by those organizations.
So, waiving this fee does not constitute "free money".
Does Financial Aid cover the Student Activities Fee?
Yes, the Office of Financial Aid includes the Student Activities Fee in calculating need-based aid packages.
Can I waive retroactively?
Late and retroactive fee waivers will not be processed. Please make sure to file before the final study list deadline of the quarter (based on the undergraduate academic calendar).
Who should I contact if I have a problem?
If you are having a problem submitting your waiver at assu.stanford.edu/waivers, you should email email@example.com.
If you have placed a waiver and do not see the credit on your account by end of Week 4, you should contact Stanford Student Services Center via this help link.